SMS and iMessage aren’t the only ways to connect with your friends using your iPhone. These 6 free messaging apps are great for connecting with family, friends, coworkers, and anyone else you need to chat with!
“Viber is a free messaging and calling app that keeps you connected to anyone in the world through your Internet connection*. It’s the most expressive way to keep in touch with your loved ones and connect with anyone worldwide!
Choose a contact from your phone book or simply enter a phone number to add a new contact on Viber. Make audio or video calls, text, share photos and videos, express yourself with thousands of stickers to choose from, record audio messages and even send files.”
“Instantly reach the people in your life—for free. Messenger is just like texting, but you don’t have to pay for every message (it works with your data plan).
Not just for Facebook friends: Message people in your phone book and just enter a phone number to add a new contact.”
“WhatsApp Messenger is a FREE messaging app available for iPhone and other smartphones. WhatsApp uses your phone’s Internet connection (4G/3G/2G/EDGE or Wi-Fi, as available) to let you message and call friends and family. Switch from SMS to WhatsApp to send and receive messages, calls, photos, videos, and Voice Messages.”
“Skype keeps the world talking. Free messaging, voice and video calls with anyone for free.
– Talk face to face with a video call.
– New group video calls with up to 25 people.
– Free voice calls to anyone else on Skype. Add up to 25 people on a group call.
– Message your friends in an instant and add up to 300 people to a group chat.
– Call mobiles and landlines at low rates (Skype to Skype calls are always free).
– Share photos, video messages, your location and add emoticons and Mojis to your chat.
– Skype’s available on smartphones, tablets, PCs, Macs, and even some TVs. Now it’s even easier to stay connected to friends and family – no matter the device they’re on.
– Available for Apple Watch – your notifications and chats available on your wrist.”
“Pure instant messaging — simple, fast, secure, and synced across all your devices. Over 100 million active users in two and a half years.
FAST: Telegram is the fastest messaging app on the market, connecting people via a unique, distributed network of data centers around the globe.
SYNCED: You can access your messages from all your devices at once. Start typing on your phone and finish the message from your tablet or laptop. Never lose your data again.
SECURE: We made it our mission to provide the best security combined with ease of use. Everything on Telegram, including chats, groups, media, etc. is encrypted using a combination of 256-bit symmetric AES encryption, 2048-bit RSA encryption, and Diffie–Hellman secure key exchange.”
“Use Hangouts to keep in touch. Message friends, start free video or voice calls, and hop on a conversation with one person or a group. Say more with photos, stickers, and emoji.
• Include all your friends with group chats for up to 150 people.
• Say more with status messages, photos, maps, emoji, stickers, and animated GIFs.
• Turn any conversation into a free group video call with up to 10 friends.
• Call any phone number in the world (and all calls to other Hangouts users are free!).”